Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Paradise Comicon Day 2


Saturday, June 9th---
Once again, the family arrived early, checked in, and got in line to be let onto the con floor. Our first task was to pick up my loaned out sketchbooks, so we swung by Petersen and Takara's tables and picked up these beauties.

We then got into Darwyn Cooke's very long line. It was long the previous day, and he wasn't even there, so we figured that we better hit him today or not at all. The previous year he was doing free sketches and, seeing as how he is my 2nd favorite artist (behind George Perez), I was hoping for another. While waiting in line I delivered my reference material to Tara Mcpherson. I had changed my mind during the night and switched from Adam Strange to U-Go Girl, and she was happy to oblige me.
We finally got to the front of Darwyn's line, but were dismayed to discover that he wasn't drawing then and there, and he was also charging $50 this year. Since he is a sucker for babies, he squeezed us onto his tight list and told us to drop the sketchbook off later. Happy that I would have a Darwyn Cap in my collection, but dismayed that I would have to wait, we continued on. Interesting note...Darwyn mentioned that his DC exclusive had recently ended and that Cap was the one Marvel character that interested him. He also mentioned that the original New Frontier pitch was to Marvel, but they weren't interested. Bet Joe Q is kicking himself now!
With villain book in hand, I went to Cam Stewart's table. He was someone that I had missed at last year's show, so I made sure to catch him before Sunday this year. We discussed the possibility of a Seaguy sequel (slim to no chance at DC, and Morrison wouldn't work for the lower price of most indie labels) and he drew a great Darkseid for me.

George Jeanty was next on my list. Unfortunately I did not have my A-Z book, as I wanted a Gambit from him. Instead I settled on the only Avengers villain that I had reference for, the evil Ultron.

Adrian Alphona was next on my list. He was again sketching for a Phillipino charity, and I was happy to donate to a good cause. He also added an Ultron, father of Runaways member Victor, to the Villain book.


Back in line for Kaare Andrews for an addition to the Villain book; but, while waiting, I noticed that Tom Grummett's line was non-existent. I hopped over and picked up a Black Knight while looking at preview material for a Black Knight one-shot that he is doing. Looks great!

In between getting some other books signed, including an old issue of Cerebus by Dave Sim, I got to the front of Kaare's line and he turned out this awesome looking Venom!


We then continued getting books signed and ran over to visit with Francis Manapul. He was recently a guest at our local Syracuse show, and I was looking forward to getting a Manapul and Agnes Garbowska jam piece of Hawkeye and Mockingbird. However, with the rest of my money already dedicated to Darwyn I couldn't afford it. I did talk to them about the possibility of a repeat visit to Syracuse, and was floored when Francis and his agent, Shawn, recognized me as the alphabet book guy. Shawn was very excited about it, and was happy to see Rowan, the book owner.

To finish the day strong, I went over to Niko Henrichon's line. The night before he had to leave for the bus just when we got to see him. So today I went a little earlier. Since everyone was having him do an animal in their Pride of Baghdad books, I had him sign my copy of Pride, and asked for a Black Panther in my Avengers book.

Then I went into Mike Perkins' Hero line-up. I was second in line and, of course, the guy in front asked for a Cap. I asked if he would be bored by doing another Cap and he quipped, "I bloody hope not...I have to draw him everyday of my life!" As he worked we had an interesting chat about hedgehog flavored 'crisps' or potato chips. Apparently they are a British delicacy. Regardless of the odd tastes of the British people regarding their food, they turn out amazing comic creators. He did the Cap's inking entirely with brush, and inkwashed the background, creating a very cool looking image.

We picked up the alphabet book from Tara and Christine, and decided to call it a day. Below are the U-Go Girl by Tara McPherson and the Batgirl by Christine Norrie.

1 comment:

Jason Truong said...

You were second for Mike Perkins? I was third. Wanted a Cap as well, but didn't want to be the third person in a row that got one. So, I settled for an Ultimate World War II Captain America.